First and foremost, I apologize that we haven't posted in a while. We have had a busy few weeks and haven't prioritized like we've wanted to. I guess we can attribute this to new blog growing pains. But we are back and have some great holiday gift guide posts coming up over the next few weeks. But for now...
It has been hard for me to give myself time for self-care. I think it has a lot to do with my fuilt over working everyday and missing time with Ro. On the weekends, I hate to give up a minute with him or Bobby, even when I know I should be taking time for myself. Although my lack of dedicated self-care time revolve around my motherhood, I know all people have this problem, parent or not. Whether it be work or something else. It's hard to take time for yourself and feel deserving of that time.
Even though I'm not really giving myself entire days or nights to do everything I'd love to do, I am making progress. What has helped me is indulging in the simple, easy pleasures. Things I can enjoy doing in short bursts of time (nap time and nursing usually). I wanted to share some of the little joys that help me relax and escape, in case you needed some motivation to take care of yourself. Some people get massages. Some people go shopping. I drink lots of tea out of pretty mugs in cashmere socks while reading.
1. Twinings English Breakfast Tea is a black tea with caffeine. I have one or more of these a day. It is my comfort tea. It is strong and reliable.
2. Harney & Sons Hot Cinnamon Spice is a black tea with a strong cinnamon flavor. It's zesty and delicious and perfect for cold weather.
3. Bigelow French Vanilla is also black tea with a vanilla flavor. It's softly sweet and lovely.
4. Bigelow Sweet Dreams is an herbal tea combination of camomile and mint. We got this in a sampler pack and it was my favorite. Neither flavor is overwhelming and it's really soothing after a long day.
1. Striped Cashmere Trouser Sock from J.Crew. It comes in red and gray too and is currently $69.50 plus 40% off.
2. Corgi Cashmere Fair Isle Sock from J.Crew. They have a lot of other Corgi styles in different colors and patterns. I have a pair of Corgis that are amazing. They are almost to my knee and have only gotten softer every year.
3. Ralph Lauren Cashmere Buffalo Check Sock from Zappos. I don't have this version, but I have pair of Ralph Laurens that I love. This pair is a blend, but for $22, they would be worth a try.
If I could buy a new mug every week I would be in bliss, but broke and a hoarder. I also feel that if you use 1 to 2 mugs a day, you are entitled to have something fun to look at while you do it. Here are some lovely little things. I went a bit overboard, so I'm keeping the descriptions to a minimum. See list below--left to right!
Look I will admit I am not high brow when it comes to books. I love all types of books. I think I'm a bit easier to please in this department. Over the past year, I have found some amazing authors and books that seem to have a knack for grabbing my heart and squeezing. I love a good coming-of-age love story. I am not ashamed to say I am constantly looking for young adult and new adult books. I think that's ok because I'm still one (or both?) of those, right? Anyway, I am standing proud. Here are some of my favorite, reread-multiple-times books.
1. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. This book tells the story of Cath, an introverted young woman, who would rather write fan fiction about her favorite book than live her life. It follows her and her twin sister through their freshman year of college. Cath grows up and out of her shell bit by bit, and it really tugged on my heart strings. I think all of us have a little introvert that needs to be heard.
2. The Royal We by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan. American girl + future king of England? If you love love and the British monarchy, this is for you. The characters are so vivid and well developed, you will know them and love them. This will make you laugh and cry in equal measure.
3. The Hating Game by Sally Throne. Best description: Rivals turned lovers. It is sweet and funny with just the right amount of angst. I read this in almost a day. Need a new book boyfriend? Joshua Templeman for you.
4. Six of Crows/Crooked Kingdom by Leah Bardugo. This is a 2 book fantasy series. I think Harry Potter fans would really really enjoy this. AMAZING, diverse characters with lots of adventure. I haven't read Crooked Kingdom yet but I have a hold at the library and I cannot wait. This series is set in a crazy beautiful world and if you are a fan of fantasy at all, you should definitely try it.
OK finally done. I hope you enjoyed this crazy long post. Please tell me some of your self-care practices, big or small! I'd love any advice on how to make time for myself.